Financial Market Overview
09th January, 2018
MARKETS AT Noon:-
- The Indian rupee turned lower weighing losses triggered by oil-related greenback bids.
- The rupee was last seen at 63.60 to a dollar, against 63.51 at the previous close. The currency has so far moved in a 63.43-63.6250 range. Most other Asian currencies continued to trade flat to lower against the greenback.
- Equity markets traded in a narrow range, cutting some of the morning gains, with the Nifty traded flat.
- The Sensex is up 54.37 points or 0.16% at 34407.51, and the Nifty down 2.40 points or 0.02% at 10621.30. The market breadth was negative as 1177 shares have advanced, 1607 shares declined, and 327 shares are unchanged.
- Coal India and ITC continued to gain the most, while BHEL, Bharti Airtel, Eicher Motors and Zee Entertainment were the top losers.
- European markets are higher today with shares in London leading the region. The FTSE 100 is up 0.42% while France’s CAC 40 is up 0.30% and Germany’s DAX is up 0.36%.
- Asian markets finished higher today with shares in Japan leading the region. The Nikkei 225 is up 0.57% while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng is up 0.46% and China’s Shanghai Composite is up 0.13%
- The dollar index, which measures the greenback against a basket of six major rivals, settled 0.45% higher in overnight trade, rising to an over one-week high of 92.67, as the euro came off last week’s highs amid profit-booking.
- The index was last trading down 0.02%, while the euro was flat against the greenback after a half-a-percent fall in an overnight trade. It had risen to a near four-month high of $1.2089 last week.