Financial Market Overview
25th July, 2018
Markets at Noon:-
- The Indian rupee extended gains against the dollar in afternoon trade, as banks stepped up greenback sales for exporters and custodian clients amid a weak U.S. currency.
- The rupee was last seen at 68.78 to a dollar against 68.94 at previous close. It had fallen to 68.98 before rising to the day’s high of 68.75, intraday. Other Asian peers were trading higher against the greenback.
- Buying interest on Indian equity markets has still resumed, with the Sensex rising about 100 points and the Nifty is approaching 11,150-mark. Among sectoral indices, metals continue to be the top gainers, while pharma, IT and infrastructure names continue to lag.
- The Sensex gains 84.71 points or 0.23% at 36909.81 and the Nifty rose 11.75 points or 0.11% at 11146.05. About 1388 shares have advanced, 959 shares declined, and 149 shares are unchanged.
- Asian markets finished mixed as of the most recent closing prices. The Shanghai Composite closed mildly lower by 0.04% and the Hong Kong Hang Seng rose by 0.89%.
- European markets are mixed today. The London’s FTSE100 off 0.27% ,Germany’s DAX is trading lower by 0.23% while the France’s CAC 40 gains by 0.18% .
- The yuan was last trading up 0.2% at 6.7785 against the dollar, recovering from over a year-low hit yesterday.
- The dollar index, measured against a basket of currencies, fell almost 0.1% overnight and was last trading 0.1% lower.
- Markets await developments on a meeting between the U.S. President Donald Trump and European Commission Chief Jean-Claude Juncker later today amid an expanding U.S. protectionist agenda.